Tuesday 22 May 2007

The site itself

I have added a couple of links and categories, anxiety disorders, grief and bereavement and a category on suicide where those who are feeling suicidal and those who wish to help those who's feeling suicidal can refer to.

I urge those who wish to help those who's suicidal to read through them now rather than wait till the need arises.

Over the next 1 to 2 weeks, I will add more categories to the link portion, including links related with Post-trauamatic stress disorder (PTSD), obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), Multiple Personality Disorder and eating disorders (anorexia and bullimia) among other things hopefully.

For those with feedback and suggestions (about the site or otherwise), pls leave me a comment or drop me an email at listeningfromtheheart83@yahoo.com

Also, I am looking for anyone who's going through or has recovered from mental illness who has a flair for the arts, someone who can draw well basically. I wish to see if any such individual is willing to volunteer and help with some ideas i have in mind for the site. Again, drop me an email if you are such a person and are interested.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi..it was during my psychology class that the lecturer was sharing about her church female friend who was found dead at the foot of her block. her friend was the wife of the pastor and a religious person. The lecturer dismissed suicide due to her being religious but she was in a state of depression and under medication before her death. the possibliity that concluded this event by the lecturer and her church friends was that she sleep walking. So how do we justify this. should we give this the benefits of the doubt.....

Hope said...

hi there,
thank you for writing though I have to admit I certainly find myself not knowing how to answer your question as there's so many things that I do not know about the full story.

Personally, I am no professional expert and without even knowing the full picture, it would not be right for me to even draw any assumptions or conclusions as it would be mere speculations at best.

Given the nature of your comment, please correct me if im wrong, it does feel like you aren't quite certain yourself that she sleepwalk. It feels and sounds to me that you do not share your lecturer's opinions that it isn't a suicide.

It would be difficult to know her frame of mind at that moment to know what led to her death. The professionals may have the answers depending on for instance whether a suicide note was left behind or say whether she has a past or recent record of sleepwalking. Unless we know the full picture, any conclusions would be mere speculations.

Depression can result and cause suicidal thoughts which may lead to the person to attempt to end their life. Religion itself may or may not be a factor to ensure that they do not chose to end their life at a point where the person's pain exceeds their ability to cope. It would depend on their state of mind and what they were feeling at that given moment.

Sadly, with the person gone, not only will we ever know for certain, no answer will also ever be good enough to those left behind. My heart goes out to her spouse.

As for yourself, with what you know or do not know, only you can decide whether which view you believe and whether or not to give the benefit of the doubt. I don't think anyone can or should tell you what to believe.

Free Blog Counter